Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Summer of Smurfs

I love the Smurfs. Les Schtroumphs. I puffi. Whichever language you choose to watch those cute little blue creatures in, you have to admit, they are adorable. Growing up in the '80s, I spend my fair share of Saturday morning hours watching them on tv. That was before the PVR, the on-demand and possibly even before the betamax recorder. Well, probably not before the beta but I still remember it. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie with my boys this summer.


What, you might ask, do Smurfs have to do with an eating local blog? Well, as it so happens, we ate Smurf potatoes for dinner last night. Blue potatoes, right from the garden to the table.


First, I had to find them. Not unlike the Smurfs, who hide very well in their magic forest! I've never had potatoes in the garden before so I didn't know where to look, or even if they would be ready. I set out with my little shovel in my overgrown-forest-of-a-garden and it didn't take very long... there they were, just below the surface! 

Here's what they looked liked when I washed them off and sliced them open, too gorgeous to peel. 

I roasted them with the usual olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. But they tasted far from usual, they were very creamy and were truly smurf-tastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment